FOR EASTERN MONADNOCK AREA RESIDENTS
The River Center Family and Community Resource Center is here to help you navigate through these uncertain times caused by the COVID-19 outbreak. We know the disruption to home, school, work, finances and your mental and physical wellbeing that the current stay-at-home orders have brought so we are providing a one-stop page for you to find resources to fit your needs.
While our office is closed, we are checking voicemail and email regularly and returning messages as we are able. Please reach out to us at email@example.com or call at (603) 924-6800 if you need more information or assistance.
***We encourage you to frequently check this page for updates, as our response to COVID-19 is evolving.***
- NH DHHS COVID-19 Resources for Residents
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) Information – 211 New Hampshire or call 2-1-1 with any questions or concerns about the COVID-19 outbreak
- Southern NH Services
- Southwestern NH Community Services COVID-19 Update
- On Facebook: Peterborough NH Area Cares during COVID-19
- To file for unemployment, or for more information about if you are eligible, visit https://www.nhes.nh.gov/
- Mary Hubbard runs the Career Counseling program at Peterborough Town Library, and can also assist people with filing for unemployment. She can be reached at 924-8040.
Peterborough Food Pantry is open Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 9-12 for drive-thru service. People should call when they arrive and will be asked some questions to verify that they have been pre-qualified, then food will be brought out to a bench for them to pick up. If someone has not been pre-qualified, they will try to gather the information needed to get them qualified, then give them food for 3 days. 25 Elm Street (former Armory) 603-924-3008 If additional food assistance is needed, call The River Center at 603-924-6800 and leave a message and someone will return your call as soon as possible. Must be able to receive calls from private numbers.
For other options, click here for an interactive map of food resources.
Monadnock at Home has offered free memberships at this time. Members are receiving check-in phone calls twice a week and grocery delivery. Clients can either call the store and order and pay with a credit card or use Instacart, or a volunteer can call in an order for them. https://www.monadnockathome.org/
If you are experiencing health issues, call your primary care physician (or the Emergency Department if applicable) for assistance. Do NOT just show up at the doctor’s office or the Emergency Department since entry locations/procedures may have changed. Do not delay seeking medical treatment so as not to “overburden” the medical staff. Many doctors and nurses are available for phone and/or video consultations.
Child and Family Well-being
This is a stressful time for many, including families with children that are now home all the time and requiring extra attention. Here are some resources to help:
- The Waypoint Family Support Warm Line is a free phone-in service where callers can talk confidentially to a family support professional to get help with everything from coping strategies, child behaviors, family dynamics, household management and emotional distress, to gaining access to tools, resources, and services that can help navigate life during challenging times. Callers may need advice or just a trusted, nonjudgmental ear. Either way, it’s a good way for families to feel less isolated and more supported. https://waypointnh.org/programs/the-family-support-warm-line
- Family Wellbeing Support, scroll to the bottom for a great list of resources: https://www.dhhs.nh.gov/dcyf/documents/family-wellbeing-during-covid-19.pdf
The COVID-19 public health crisis has brought on many challenges, not the least of which is financial strain and uncertainty. We offer both free tax prep and money coaching so that you can navigate the current challenges
The River Center offers free money coaching via phone or videoconferencing for anyone, regardless of income level, in the eastern Monadnock region who requests it. The time to act is now so that you are prepared for the uncertain future.
Our money coaches can assist you:
- in prioritizing your expenses
- in figuring out where to start when contacting your creditors/lenders
- if you need guidance when talking to your landlord about rent payment
- setting up a budget
- in determining what to do with your economic impact payment, tax refund, or unemployment benefits so that you have a cushion of savings to get your through the coming months
- in determining your savings choices now such as a savings account or prepaid reloadable debit card,
- with all of the above and more! Contact us here for more information or to set up an appointment with one of our trained money coaches: Money Coaching
Economic Impact Payments
- 5/12/20 – COVID Tax Tip Bulletin: What people really want to know about Economic Impact Payments
- 5/8/20 – If you haven’t received your payment yet, act now to get it faster. More info: Act by Wednesday, May 13 at noon
- 4/29/20 – VA and SSI recipients who don’t normally file, have until May 5 to enter info about their dependents who are 16 years old and younger so that they can receive their automatic payments in one sum. If you do not enter your info by May 5 about your dependents, you will still get the payment due to you when they send out the money, but the $500 for each of your dependents will be made available next filing year:
- https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payments – enter your direct deposit information here and/or your information if you a non-filer
- Economic Impact Payments: What You Need to Know
- Check the IRS’s Coronavirus Tax Relief page for up-to-date information as it happens
- We’ll have an FAQ up about this within the coming days. Email our Tax Program at firstname.lastname@example.org if you can’t find the answers you are seeking
- The tax filing and payment deadlines have both been extended to July 15
- You now have until July 15 to file your return and anything you owe will not be due until then either. You will not be assessed any interest or penalties either.
- If you need to file now, we are offering virtual tax prep. Please see our Free Tax Prep page for more info on Virtual VITA and DIY VITA options available to you through us. Info about other tax preparation options are listed there as well.
- Our in-person tax program will reopen when The River Center reopens.
- email us at email@example.com to get on our Contact List for an appointment
More Links of Interest