FREE TAX PREP
Do you dread tax season each time it comes around?
At The River Center, we offer free tax prep services for qualifying individuals and households with incomes of up to $66,000 through our IRS-sponsored Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program.
Call (603) 924-6800 ext 11 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more info
Free tax prep services to individuals and families with household incomes of around $66,000 at The River Center!
Our IRS-certified volunteers enable individuals and families to access tax credits that help put them on the path to financial wellness.
Maximizing your refund means more money in your pockets to protect yourself from unexpected expenses.
If you have questions about our program, check out the Q & A in the sidebar (or here).
Are you ready to file your taxes?
No matter which option you choose to have your taxes done, save yourself time and extra trips by making sure you have all of your tax documents in order. You can also complete, print and bring with you the Intake/Interview Form. This is required by the IRS every year without fail and it reflects changes including tax law.
3 Days and 3 Ways to have your taxes done for FREE!
We offer 3 options to have your taxes done at our site on 3 different days to suit your schedule:
SATURDAYS (by appointment only)
- Traditional VITA: You will sit down with our IRS-certified tax preparers as your return is completed; (time: >45 minutes; Saturdays only)
WEDNESDAYS (3-6:30 PM) and FRIDAYS (7-10:30 AM) – appointments recommended (walk-ins welcome, but may have a wait)
- Valet VITA : You complete your interview with an intake specialist who will make sure you have brought all of the documents needed to complete your return. They will scan and give back your documents and you pick up the completed return the following week. (time: <30 minutes over 2 visits)
- DIY VITA: You will prepare your own return at our site with help as needed from one of our IRS-certified volunteer tax preparers (time: varies, but ~30-45 minutes); you can start it with us, get some guidance and then finish it at home if you need to!
Which option is right for me?
Choose DIY VITA if you…
- are a first-time tax filer with a simple tax return with few tax documents (ie, W-2s; no 1095-A, Schedule C or itemized deductions)
- are tech-savvy and comfortable with email
- are good with following on-screen/written directions
- want to learn how to do your own return under the guidance of an IRS-certified volunteer tax preparer.
Choose Valet VITA if you…
- are unable to make a Saturday appointment time
- have difficulty finding childcare for your children while you get your taxes done
- have a lot of things on your to-do list and can’t wait around while your tax return is prepared
- have to get back to work
Choose Traditional VITA if you…
- prefer to oversee the tax prep process
- have a number of self-employment deductions/expenses
- don’t mind waiting as your tax return is prepared in front of you
- are not in a rush
If you are still unsure of which method is the best fit for you, call us at (603) 924-6800 ext 11.
What to bring
**If you are filing a joint return, BOTH spouses must be present on Saturdays and when signing the completed return on Wednesday and Fridays before we can e-file**
- Proof of identification (photo ID) – for you (and your spouse, if married)
- Social Security cards for you, your spouse and dependents
- Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
- Wage and earning statements (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R,1099-Misc) from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- A copy of last year’s federal and state returns, if available
- Tuition Statement (1098-T) and related expenses from college or technical school
- Proof of bank account routing and account numbers for direct deposit such as a blank check
- Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider’s tax identifying number such as their Social Security number or business Employer Identification Number
- Forms 1095-A, Marketplace Health Insurance statement, if applicable
IF YOU ARE SELF-EMPLOYED (Schedule C):
- Totals for cash income as well as any 1099-Misc forms
- Bring expenses, categorized and totaled (ex. work mileage, commuting mileage, phone, supplies, license fees, etc)
All filers getting their taxes prepared through a VITA site are required to complete the Intake/Interview Form every year. The form reflects changes in procedures and in tax law and is crucial to an accurate return.
Got questions about our VITA program? We’ve got answers!
WHY should I have my taxes done by you?
- It’s free. Yes, it is really free.
- It’s accurate. Every return is prepared and double-checked by IRS-certified volunteers to ensure accuracy.
- It’s safe. We protect your data and your confidentiality.
- It’s convenient. Our location offers ample parking, one-level access, and we offer tax prep options so that you can choose one that will work for you.
WHAT is Volunteer Income Tax Assistance?
- The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program is designed by the IRS to help low to moderate income individuals and households file their taxes. Our VITA team is made up of volunteers who are passionate about taxes and helping others.
- We also prepare prior year returns up to 2017 and amended returns for in-scope situations.
- We prepare federal and state returns (VT, NH, MA and ME)
WHO can get free tax prep at your site?
- You have a household income of up to $66,000
- You want to keep more of your hard-earned money
- You find doing your taxes overwhelming and don’t know where to start
- You want the reassurance of having your tax return prepared accurately.
- You are in-scope.
Still not sure if this is right for you or if you are right for these services? Call us at (603) 924-6800 ext 11 today!
Other resources to help you determine if you are in-scope for our free tax prep services:
WHEN can I get my taxes done?
We will be open January 29 to April 15, 2020.
- Traditional VITA (by appointment only): Saturdays, 8:45 am to 3:15 pm
- Valet and DIY VITA (walk-ins): Wednesdays from 3-6:45 pm and Fridays from 7-10:30 am.
Valet and DIY VITA will be offered on a first-come first-serve basis.
WHERE are you located?
Are there OTHER free tax prep sites?
Can’t find the answers you are looking for?
Call us at (603) 924-6800 ext. 11 or email us at email@example.com
SPEND SOME, SAVE SOME
Ask your tax preparer or intake specialist how you can split your refund into up to 3 different accounts…and then enter to win up to $10,000!
MON – THU
9:00am – 2:00pm
FRI - SUN
We are closed