VOLUNTEER INCOME TAX ASSISTANCE (VITA)Free tax preparation services for eligible individuals and families
NEED TAX HELP?
At The River Center, we offer free tax prep services for qualifying individuals and households with incomes of up to $69,000 through our IRS-sponsored Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program.
Read our Scope to determine if you are eligible.
VIRTUAL TAX PREP
While our in-person tax clinic is closed, we are now offering virtual tax prep in 2 ways. If neither of these virtual methods are right for you, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to get on our call-back list for when we re-open our in-person tax clinic or see the link below for other options.
Virtual VITA (not available)
Virtual VITA: Tax Prep By IRS-Certified Volunteers
- You scan and upload your tax documents to a folder at a link that we provide you once you schedule an appointment
- We “meet” with you either by phone and/or via videoconferencing
- A volunteer tax preparer completes your return and a quality reviewer double-checks it
- We schedule another time to “meet” to review our return with you
- You sign a consent to e-File, we e-File, then we send you a copy of your return
- Must have:
- internet access
- email address
- smartphone and/or computer/laptop/printer/scanner
Ready to schedule your Virtual VITA appointment? Email us at email@example.com and we’ll be in touch!
DIY VITA (available on Wednesdays)
DIY VITA: Tax Prep Done By You (with a little help from your friends at The River Center)
- You have a BASIC return
- your 2019 income was reported on one or more of the following—
- Form W-2
- Form 1099-R or 1099-INT
- Form 1098-T
- Form 1095, and
- you are not filing any of these schedules—
- 1099-MISC. report income or loss from a business you operated or a profession you practiced as a sole proprietor
- 1099-B report capital gains and losses
- Report income or loss from rental real estate, royalties, partnerships, S corporations, estates, trusts, and more
- your 2019 income was reported on one or more of the following—
- You schedule an appointment, indicating that you want DIY VITA
- You “meet” with a volunteer tax preparer who provides you with the link to the online tax program
- The tax preparer is on hand to answer any questions you may have as you prepare your own return
- Once you get started, you and the preparer can discuss whether you need ongoing help or if you want to finish it on your own. If you need more guidance after going it alone, just reach out to us again.
Ready to do-it-yourself? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to get the link to schedule your appointment.
OTHER TAX PREP OPTIONS
We want to be your go-to for tax help, but we understand if you want or need to go elsewhere or if you don’t fall within the scope of the IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program.
OTHER FREE TAX PREP OPTIONS
- Directory of Federal Tax Return Preparers with Credentials and Select Qualifications: https://irs.treaury.gov/rpo/rpo.jsf
- NH CPA: https://www.nhscpa.org/public/find_a_cpa
7/6: Filing and payment deadline if you owe taxes is July 15 if you want to avoid penalties and interest.
6/27: The River Center hosts a Drive-Thru Valet VITA event
The tool on the IRS Economic Impact Payments page allowing you to enter your banking info is now up and you can access it from this page: Economic Impact Payments
VIRTUAL VITA: While the office is closed, we have re-opened the tax clinic to prepare returns virtually! You have 2 options available – Virtual VITA and DIY VITA. See Virtual Tax Prep below for more information
The IRS website now has a page where you can enter your payment information if you are a non-filer: Economic Impact Payments. The part of the website that lets you add change payment info if you have already filed is not yet ready, but is expected to be up by mid-April – so any day now!
We are now providing virtual tax prep and the ability to do DIY VITA via a phone consultation with one of our volunteer tax preparers during this time. In order to participate, you will need to have available to you:
- a smartphone or a computer and printer/scanner – some way for you to upload documents and download for signing
- all of your pertinent tax documents
If you are in no rush to have your return done and If you would like to be on our callback list to be scheduled when we are ready, please email the office at email@example.com or call and leave a voicemail at (603) 924-6800 ext 11. Your phone number must be able to accept calls from Unknown or Anonymous phone numbers and your voicemail box should also be set up otherwise we will not be able to contact you.
IN-PERSON TAX CLINIC CLOSING: Due to the rapidly-evolving public health and safety concerns about COVID-19, we have suspended tax prep and money coaching services as of Tuesday, March 17 until further notice. We are no longer taking appointments and all previously scheduled appointments have been canceled. Those appointments made for pick-up of Valet VITA returns on Saturday, March 20 will be honored.
We know how important the free tax prep program and money coaching services are to our clients. We appreciate your understanding as we take action to play our role in minimizing risk to our clients, volunteers and employees.
On March 17, the Department of Treasury announced it will allow taxpayers to defer federal tax payments for up to 90 days after the April 15 deadline, without penalty or interest. This means that if you owe money, you will not be penalized for paying late.
The Department of Treasury has announced that the filing season is also now extended to July 15. This means you do not have to file an extension if you miss filing by April 15. It also means that we will be able to open up the tax clinic again once The River Center re-opens.
Our dedicated volunteers are still offering their assistance should you need it:
- If you are expecting a large refund and are anxious to get it, call us for a phone consultation if you need some guidance filing your own return at 924-6800 ext 11 and leave your name, number and message or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you are expecting a refund, but are not in a rush to file, get on our contact list so we can call you once we start taking appointments again.
- If you owe money, contact us (email preferred) to get on our contact list to be called for an appointment once we have a re-opening date.
If you need assistance with any of this or have any other tax-related questions or want to get on a contact list for future tax appointments, contact us via voicemail (lmake sure your phone is able to accept calls from restricted or unknown numbers) at:
Phone: (603) 924-6800 ext 11 OR Email: email@example.com
You may also choose to file your own return and here are some options for you:
We are hoping to be back and open sooner rather than later. We have no guarantees, but we have hope!
Stay safe and be well!
MON – THU
9:00am – 2:00pm
FRI - SUN
We are closed